Lions lead GB from the front
The European Championships are over but what a contribution it was that your Lions’ players made. With 19 Lions involved, courtesy of 16 players, 2 coaches and 1 assistant team manager, Britain’s premier side made their contributions felt far and wide, notably:
- 3 of the 4 Great Britain captains were Lions in Phoebe Schecter (Team Captain), Michelle Gywnne and Jo Kilby;
- Lions featured in all of GB’s MVP awards – Linebacker Schecter against Germany, Gwynne (as part of the offensive line’s award) against Sweden and Running Back Ruth Matta against Finland;
- Wide Receiver Hannah Pye and QB Kilby shared honours even in most touchdowns scored (2 each);
- GB’s top (solo) tacklers were Lions’ Schecter (17), Cornerback Nancy Stone (7) and Strong Safety Nena Killick (6);
- Linebacker Afia Law scored GB’s only defensive touchdown;
- Matta shouldered more carries (65) and more yards (243) than any other GB Running Back.
None of the above, of course, could have been achieved without the entirety of the squad showing their worth but it’s good to know your Lions delivered so royally for country as they did all season for club.
Pictured: #82 Hannah Pye, #76 Michelle Gwynne, #21 Ruth Matta, #89 Sophie Etheridge and #30 Steph De-Haven.
Image courtesy of, and with thanks to, Geoff White, © gw-images.com.