Youth & Junior Recruitment Day
Hello, hello, hello and welcome to the Birmingham Lions American Football Programme, one of the UK’s most successful American Football Programmes in the UK. The programme has a variety of team, University, Women’s, Juniors, Youth and School Teams.
The aim of the programme is to provide opportunities to try American Football for the first time, provide an enjoyable experience and develop players to be able to achieve their full potential. Our coaching group will introduce you to the fundamentals of the sport over the course of a 2hr practice session.
If you’re interested in #gettinginvolved with the No1 programme in the UK and aged between 14 and 19 years of age or you think somebody else, a friend or family member might be, please spread the word or get yourself on the invite and down to the University of Birmingham on Saturday 22nd November 2014 between 2pm – 4pm.
Where is it?
- Bournebrook 3G pitches, University of Birmingham (a map to the pitch is attached)
- Road route (simplest): Pritchatts Road, Ring Road North, Terrace Road
- Campus address: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands B15 2TT
How much is it?
- £3; payable at registraton
What can I expect on the day?
- A warm welcome from our existing members and coaches
- Registration – where you’ll be asked to complete a few questions and some information about yourself (this is when we will also collect session-payment)
- A formal welcome to the Lions from coaches and their expectations from the day
- Practice: warm up – individual drills and skills – small-sided games – warm down
- Chance to watch demo contact drills
- Photo opportunity
Will I be involved in contact?
- No, not today – this session is just to introduce new players to the concept and basics of tackle American Football; you will be able to try the kit on at the end of the session and watch a live kitted demo drills.
What do I need to bring?
- Clothes suitable for outdoor training, we will be on an 3G artificial turf surface.
- It’s preferable to wear rugby or football boots (if you have them, no metal studs or blades please) or astro-turf boots, but trainers (not pumps) are fine
- Please be mindful of the weather (if it’s wet and cold, bring an extra layer or water-proof jacket for example).
Do I need any previous/other sports experience?
- Nope absolutely not, this session is open to all: those with previous sporting experience.
Will I be training with the existing Lions?
- This session is for new players specifically so whilst some of the Lions’ returning players will be on hand to help facilitate the day and for the practice game, this session is all about you guys 🙂
What happens after this session?
- Well hopefully you’ll enjoy the session and want to come back for more!
- Full practice sessions for all players will start in January 2015, however we have another recruitment session on Saturday 13th December – same time, same place (so invite yourself to our Facebook events (they’ll be popping up soon).
- Changing facilities and toilets will be available.
Any questions in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to get in touch, either straight to the event wall or via PM, otherwise what are you waiting for 😀
Lions Youth & Junior Football